Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

I am a Marine Corps Brat. For those of you not in the know, this means I was brought up on Marine bases AND indoctrinated into Marine Corps lore. This also means, ours was a very patriotic family. Every morning we heard Reveille and every evening, if we were on the Base, we stopped for Retreat. I am so very proud that my father was a Marine. Giving due to my brothers, husband and two of my nephews, my Dad was always the best looking man ever in his uniform. Love and respect for Country was ever present in our home. People say a lot of bad things about service life, but, for me, it helped me quickly make a variety of friends, meet many different types of people, see places and do things I never would have otherwise. It taught me independence and the knowledge that no matter where you live, home is where your family is. I am grateful to have grown up in the Marine Corps with all its ups and downs.  On this special day of remembrance, I wish to thank all those men and women who have ever served our country, past, present, and future. Their devotion and sacrifice are responsible for keeping our nation free. I am one grateful woman." Semper Fi"

3 comments:

Arianne said...

What a wonderful post Joy....Well said! Last night my friend Kari and I walked around our cemetary here in Prosser. We talked a lot about our service men and women, visited all of those who we knew, and just enjoyed looking at all of the headstones. We really are lucky to live in this beautiful free country! I also am very grateful for those who went before me and who are now fighting to keep our freedom!

Anonymous said...

Greetings Joy.. Have been working on a letter to you because I only have your physical address. I was writing about Mark and Jaime and went to the NellNell web page and saw that you had a blog. So..........

I have been heavy into genealogy with a lady who was working on an application for the Colonial Dames. The group has grown from the two of us to 14 at last count. We are all descendants of the same great, great grandfather but through the different brothers and sisters of my great grandfather. To night I have been going through some old photos looking for some of my great grandfather's siblings and found the photo attached. Thought that you might like to see it. It is the only one I have, as far as I know, that has you in it.

I enjoyed reading your blog and hope that this does get to you.

With love
Judie

Anonymous said...

Радикально согласна. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve/55-stroitelstvo-iz-kirpicha.html]ремонт квартир в санкт петербурге[/url]